'Getting started' steps to run the Orchard Gallery

Developer
Nov 21, 2010 at 9:05 AM

Could someone please put together some basic steps to run this?  It was mentioned in last meeting that Orchard needs to be installed separately, but that's as much as I know.  e.g.

• Where exactly should I get orchard?  Pull from latest codeplex, or install 0.8?
  • Where do the Orchard Gallery go in there

And generally, whatever it takes for someone who is not familiar with Orchard to successfully run this.

Thanks!

Coordinator
Nov 22, 2010 at 2:20 PM

We'll add a ReadMe file to this project, similar to the one in GalleryServer, that will explain the steps for getting the gallery up and running in Orchard.

Developer
Nov 22, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Thanks for adding the readme!

One small missing step is that the taxonomies module needs to be added to the solution as well in order to be the gallery.  Right?

But even after I do that, I get:

Error	1	'Contrib.Taxonomies.Services.ITaxonomyService' does not contain a definition for 'CreateTaxonomy' and no extension method 'CreateTaxonomy' accepting a first argument of type 'Contrib.Taxonomies.Services.ITaxonomyService' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)	D:\Code\NuGet\Orchard\src\Orchard.Web\Modules\Orchard.Gallery\GalleryFeatureHandler.cs	34	34	Orchard.Gallery

Maybe some version mismatch?

Developer
Nov 22, 2010 at 7:41 PM

I randomly renamed that call to CreateTermContentType to get it to compile.

About those instructions:

Click on Package Types.
Click Add a Term.
Enter "Module" in the Title field and click Save.
Click Add a Term.
Enter "Theme" in the Title field and click Save.

In both cases I get "The term already exists in this taxonomy".  Is that expected?

Developer
Nov 22, 2010 at 9:37 PM

The readme has been updated to include adding Contrib.Taxonomy to the solution.

Coordinator
Nov 22, 2010 at 9:44 PM

We're seeing the same issues with the latest version of the Taxonomies module. We'll look into it, and I've email Sebastien in the meantime.

Developer
Nov 23, 2010 at 3:09 AM

Thanks Kevin. Hopefully, once this is fixed, I can try a full end to end scenario: upload, move to published, download from feed.

Coordinator
Nov 23, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Sebastien fixed this error with creating new terms. If you pull the latest from Contrib.Taxonomies it should be working. Also he confirmed that the CreateTaxonomy method was intentionally renamed to CreateTermContentType. So your random guess was actually correct. :-)

Developer
Nov 23, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Yep, seems good now!

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:23 AM

Guys it is confusing like hell. I have spent hours putting it all together hoping to use it as theme gallery for another project and gave up in the end. Looks like it is going to be easier reinvent the wheel than reverse engineer your solution without any meaningful documentation and simple usage examples.

Coordinator
Feb 8, 2011 at 3:26 AM

Sorry to hear you had trouble getting things setup correctly. It can be a bit tricky with all of the different pieces, and we are definitely lacking in the documentation area right now. Hopefully that will improve over time.

I just took another look at the current ReadMe file and noticed that we don't even mention the Gallery Server project. The Orchard Gallery module will only work if you also have an instance of Gallery Server running. You can get that from http://galleryserver.codeplex.com. There is a ReadMe in that project too which explains getting it setup.

If you have any specific questions on the install/setup process let me know and I'll be glad to help.

Feb 8, 2011 at 5:33 AM

Ok, it is a little odd - I would think you can point to back-end feed after gallery is installed and server could have run on a separate box all together.

When I selected local feed as default in Orchard, "Gallery.Orchard" feature actually showed up in the list. And this is where I was completely missing out. I saw "Gallery" under packaging and was sure it is Orchard.Gallery.

Which is a problem. Because there is no setup doc with simple screen shot, I would not guess in million years that under packaging got to be two galleries, one "Orchard.Gallery" as site/module and another just "Gallery" as module/module.

So now I actually can see Orchard.Gallery feature, but all the sudden lost ability to enable. Orchard reports success, but nothing changes.

Trust level set as "Full" in Orchard.Web's web.config. May be, need to push it from Visual Studio to IIS. Will try it tomorrow.

Coordinator
Feb 8, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Yeah, that can admittedly be a little confusing. The Orchard.Gallery module is the module used to build the actual Orchard Gallery website (i.e. http://orchardproject.net/gallery or http://nuget.org).
The other Gallery module is the module used within the Orchard admin dashboard itself (for any Orchard installation) to display the modules available on the gallery feed (which is what Gallery Server provides).

You can actually have server running on a separate box. Once you enable the Orchard.Gallery module in your Orchard installation, you can go to the Settings page in the dashboard to configure a couple of options. One of them is the location of your Gallery Server feed.

Two things to keep in mind:

1. The Ochard.Gallery module is pretty dependent on the OrchardGallery theme that's available from the URL listed in the ReadMe file. The module by itself is missing a lot of the view necessary for the gallery website to actually function.
  2. Gallery Server has some settings that need to be configured according to how you have your gallery website setup (primarily the URL to the root of your gallery site). This should be mentioned in the ReadMe file for Gallery Server, but let me know if you have any questions about that.
Feb 17, 2012 at 3:38 PM

I wish I'd have seen this post earlier.  I'm currently trying to setup a gallery server and a gallery website as well.  I have the server setup and can view the .svc file in a browser (it returns XML).  I'm now attempting to get the website setup (I had it setup, but got confused by the two gallery modules and borked something, so now whenever I have my gallery module dropped in the modules folder, I get an error about implementing IUserHandler.  I might need to manually disable the module from the command line and then attempt to reinstall it.

I may stop back with more questions...

Feb 17, 2012 at 3:50 PM
Edited Feb 17, 2012 at 3:56 PM

deleting the app_data folder and dropping in the module is still causing problems. I get 7 errors when trying to build, all relating to Orchard.Gallery.Handlers.UserEventHandler does not implemnt interface member...

Orchard.Users.Events.IUserEventHandler.AccessDenied

Orchard.Users.Events.IUserEventHandler.Approved

Orchard.Users.Events.IUserEventHandler.ChangedPassword

Orchard.Users.Events.IUserEventHandler.ConfirmedEmail

Orchard.Users.Events.IUserEventHandler.LoggedIn

Orchard.Users.Events.IUserEventHandler.LoggedOut

Orchard.Users.Events.IUserEventHandler.SentChallengeEmail

I tried just adding stubs for these, but then I get failures on CategoryGetter in Orchard.Gallery on this line:

_taxonomyService.GetAssociatedContentItemsId and

PackagesController on this line:
return _taxonomyService.GetTermBySlug(taxonomy.Id, packageType);

It seems like the gallery is relying on an old version of the taxonomy module...

Feb 17, 2012 at 4:06 PM

More investigation led me to this:
http://orchardgallery.codeplex.com/SourceControl/network/Forks/akoeplinger/ChangesInContribTaxonomies/contribution/1336

Any chance this will get merged anytime soon?

Apr 17, 2012 at 11:28 PM

I've been working on setting up an internal nuget repository. I've followed this recipe:

http://www.symbolsource.org/Public/Blog/View/2011-04-22/Set_up_your_own_NuGet_gallery_with_SymbolSource

but can't seem to get Orchard.Gallery module to enable. All the dependent modules are enabled, just that one won't enable.  And so I can't get to the settings for it either.

Any ideas?

Apr 19, 2012 at 1:59 AM
I usually set it up by following this readme file (http://orchardgallery.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/view/6a5476676f50#Readme.txt) but I'm guessing things changed since then. Not with gallery project, the code is almost year old - but orchard and some plugins get updated and no longer compatible with gallery. I did ran into it more than once updating to new version, over time it got so out of sync I decided to use old orchard version, I think we on 1.2 now.

Good luck,
Ruslan

To: [email removed]
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 15:29:04 -0700
Subject: Re: 'Getting started' steps to run the Orchard Gallery [orchardgallery:235473]

I've been working on setting up an internal nuget repository. I've followed this recipe:
http://www.symbolsource.org/Public/Blog/View/2011-04-22/Set_up_your_own_NuGet_gallery_with_SymbolSource
but can't seem to get Orchard.Gallery module to enable. All the dependent modules are enabled, just that one won't enable. And so I can't get to the settings for it either.
Any ideas?

Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (orchardgallery@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email orchardgallery@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com